[Amps] Powering 400w mobile amplifier...

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 29 23:41:15 EDT 2003

Bill objected to my advice but didn't say what was bad about the multiple
ground approach.  And his suggestion to use RF current carrying capacitors
at the 400W power level is questionable.

All mobile radios I know of use the multiple ground technique.

- Icom, Kenwood, etc all recommend two wires direct to the battery.
- Each vendor supplies a cable with fuses in both leads.
- Each vendor supplies a metal mounting bracket to connect the radio to the
vehicle...
- Vendors don't recommend one way or the other about connecting the radio to
frame ground.  It works either way.
- All the VHF and UHF mobile whip antennas I know of have a coax directly
connected to the vehicle body or frame.

Motorola and GE use the same installation techniques for their commercial
service radios.

What kind of mobile whip antenna has an ungrounded shield or uses a dc
blocking cap to ground?...none that I know of.  Besides, I don't think a 0.1
uFd cap would last very long with 400W of VHF energy flowing through it.

I recommended grounding the amp to the frame because there's so much supply
current running around.  A 40W moble can return its ground current through
the antenna coax without even noticing.  I know because the fuse blew in the
return lead of one of my radios and didn't notice for a year or so.  But 50
Amps through the coax to the antenna ground might cause heating and paint
bubbling the the antenna mount point.

Bill's "no extra DC ground" approach is simple and clean at DC, but doesn't
work at RF.  The RF output coax need a solid connection to the vehicle to
make a ground plane for the whip.  Grounding the Amp body isn't essential,
but reduces a worry about the DC on the coax shield.

Lastly, there's another, unmentioned, ground return, namely, through the
input coax back to the transceiver.  I don't know of any way to easily block
the DC on that line.  And it's not a good idea to return 50 Amps through
your transceiver coax if the amplifier return line fuse blows.

jeff, wa1hco