[Amps] Mobile wiring

AA6DX aa6dx at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 30 12:53:48 EDT 2003

I have been following the thread about the mobile installation of high power radios/amps.  Just for what it's worth, two good sources for BIG power cables, in Black and in Red, are:
Your local car stereo installation shop.  I got my #8 there, it is super flexible, and works just swell.  For making reusable connections with the wire, I use Swenco POSI-LOCK connectors for stranded wire.  No problems with that at all.  As to fusing -- I use what is called the Big Fuse.  I got the connector at Kragen, but they want too much for the fuses there, so got them at the local commercial radio supply, for a buck apiece. They also provide a nice place to break the connection for "valet parking", so nobody can turn your rig on -- sorta like the old GE cartridge or screw-in fuses used back in the hollow-state days.  When you snap the cover back on, it is not obvious that it is a fuse holder, nor that the fuse is missing.

Another source, often overlooked, is to purchase quality automobile JUMPER CABLES on sale.  Cut the battery clamps off, and voila!  Almost ALWAYS cheaper than going and buying the wire itself, if you buy right.  Sources include KMart, Wally World, Sears, Kragen, NAPA, etc.  Just find the one having them in their weekly sale!
Also provides battery clamps for other projects!  (Read --- more "stuff" in the junque box!)

Another hint --- Places that offer truck parts, or marine supplies, have excellent break-out type devices, so you can run the major wire from the battery into the vehicle, and then feed your various radios/amps.

I use a ground wire direct to the battery, not the chassis.

73, Y'all --- Mark, AA6DX