[Amps] 2500 uF at 450V DC for $10.00 each

Mark Hill g4fph at mjha.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 18:14:32 EDT 2003

Folks,

I have 16 x 2200 uF, 400 V electrolytics in series in the supply for my new
project PA and share Conrad's thoughts on the stored energy
issue.  Sometimes the components to hand are not ideal for the job.  I will
let you know what the bang sounds like when I get one!

Of course, the other side of the coin is the typical 20 and a bit uF of
smoothing provided in several US-built amplifiers.  Not enough for us 50 Hz
types, even with an aluminium plate under the capacitor bank!

Regards.

Mark.

At 17:43 29/06/2003 +0100, Conrad Farlow wrote:

>Put 10 in series and you have a whole lot of joules to deal with in the
>event of a flashover, bad idea IMO.
>
>Conrad G0RUZ
>
>FOR SALE:
>
>ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS
>
>2500 uF at 450V new, top-grade caps.
>Cornell-Dubilier 400c series.
>4" tall, 2" diameter.
>
>Put 10 in series and you have 250 uF at 4500V DC
>Put 20 in series and you have 125 uF at 9000V DC
>
>Pricing:
>QTY 20 or above at $10.00 each
>QTY 10 or above at $12.00 each
>QTY <10 at $15.00 each