[Amps] YC-156 Max Ep

ARNE GJERNING gjerning at flash.net
Sat Mar 1 11:17:29 EST 2003

YC-156 Ep Max rating.  Look at EIMAC book "Care and Feeding of POWER GRID
TUBES", page 142, section  6.11.1 Maximum Tube Ratings.  This is how EIMAC
spec'd their tubes.  Quote:  "In general, the tube ratings are so chosen
that operation within the ratings will give a minimum of 1000 hours of
guaranteed life."

So a YC-156 at 6500 Ep, assuming 60% efficiency to get 1500Wout, would be
Ip=0.384A for 2500Win. This to stay within the speed limit.  However,
operating characteristics are defined by the operator;  just keep em' SAFE,
CLEAN, and stable.

Personally I would go for lower voltage, say 5KV, as the higher voltages
require extra $$ for parts and extra precautions.  Even at 4KV the YC-156
would be loafing at Ip=2.0A, though maybe a bit more difficult to drive at
lower Ep. Operator defined characteristics.  And NO I do not have one of
these tubes operational,  (small print YET).  Just enjoy this HOBBY a great
deal since first QSO in Jan 1958.

Have fun building amps folks.  Do not forget BIG antennas also (but that's
topic for other reflector).

73 de Arne N7KA