[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

rlm 2 at vc.net
Wed Mar 5 04:38:09 EST 2003

>> Regarding the Icom 775, I have one and have not seen any power spike,
>> I use a peak hold wattmeter and it goes right up to 200 watts and
>> stops.
>
>They might have toned down the earlier 775's. Some meters also do not really
>read short peaks well.
>What meter do you use?
>
>> On twenty meters I note a number of FT-1000's with processors on that
>> seem to be wider than other signals there.  Is there something about
>> the speech processor in the FT1000 that would cause it to splatter
>> more than others?
>
>A new habit, imported from CB, is people now turn the little power limit
>pots inside radios up. A local contestor brings his 1000MP's over for work,
>and I find the pots set for 50% more power than factory.

Amen, Tom.  I had the same experience with a JRD transceiver.

>He drives SB220's,
>which are not even designed to run 1500 watts output, to more than 1500
>watts.

When driven by 140w-pep voice-SSB on 40m, my SB-220 (pair of Amperex
3-400Zs} produces 400v-pk into 50-ohms.  Using ohm's law, this works out
to 1600w-pep.  On CW, power out is c. 900w.

>If I set a radio back to 100 watts, the next time I see it it is back at
>150w. He can't figure out how the pots get turned up, so he says.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end