[Amps] Alpha 86

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Wed Mar 5 12:48:23 EST 2003

Tom Rauch wrote:

> >  The key is the right soldering iron!   (Same goes for doing a
> > professional job with PL-259s.)
>
> You might read:
>
> http://www.w8ji.com/bandswitch_failures.htm
>
> It adds to some of the good points John made.

Actually, I already have.  I've seen the results of the corona-caused breakdown
that you refer to there.  I repaired an SB-1000 with a burned 160-meter tune
padder contact. This contact was connected to the hot side of the PI-net, and
arced to ground across the wafer.  The moving contact was undamaged, proving
that it had not been hot-switched.  I put a corona washer on the replacement
contact, and I had no further problems.

73
Vic K2VCO