[Amps] Use of Manual T/R Switches

Phil Clements philk5pc at tyler.net
Thu Mar 6 20:57:19 EST 2003

> Maybe more famous was the Johnson model..  and it was good for 1 KW
> AM service.  Had some problems with "suckout" that could be cured to
> some extent by the length of coax between the amp and the the switch.
> Also used one coupled directly to the amp plate circuit with a very small
> high voltage cap.
> For some reason dont miss those so called "good ole" days.  Smell of
> released electrons was not all that pleasant.
> Merv K9FD/KH6

I hear you, Merv!
One of my most memorable experiences I have as a teenager is when I
hooked up my new Johnson T-R switch and achieved the infamous "WATV
Award" in a few moments time. The neighborhood quickly turned into a lynch
mob as their television sets were wiped out by my new "TVI generator."
I remember the suck-out problem as well. You could tune your amp up on
the frequency you were receiving on by tuning for minimum noise out of the
speaker! The Johnson's bring big bucks now on E-Bay since most folks have
cable/satellite systems and receiver preamp, I guess.

I authored a "poor man's QSK system" for the SB-220 in the January 1980
issue of QST. A little less suck-out, and no TVI.

(((73)))
Phil,  K5PC