[Amps] Believe it or not... re: REPEATER RANGE CALCULATOR

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Fri Mar 7 07:13:57 EST 2003

Hi all,

If you haven't seen an analog computer before, now you have...
First time, however, that I have seen one packaged in a VTVM case.

Usually analog computers were big racks of operational amplifiers (early ones vacuum tube)
connected via myriads of patch cords and scaling potentiometers, and delivering their output to
an X-Y recorder or a storage oscilloscope.

Before the advent of high-performance numerical models and processing, they were quite commonly used
for solving problems in i.a. servo control systems, mechanical stress analysis and fluid dynamics.

This particular one solves only one steady-state predefined equation, and could be described as an electronic
version of the slide rule.

73/

Karl-Arne Markstrom
SM0AOM