[Amps] Arcing

Jeffrey Madore K1LE at ARRL.NET
Fri Mar 7 11:35:50 EST 2003

Thanks, Rich & Marv,

Great explanation!  Fills in some missing holes in my memory and gives me
something to think on.

I once accidentally opened the secondary relaying circuit on a CT in a 4kv
system supplying load to a nuclear power station during refueling. The
instant blue flame burned an entry hole in the end of my finger and blew a
much larger hole out of the knuckle on the back of my hand where it was
touching the switchboard. My contact was a split second, as it blew me back
immediately. The CT was probably about 2ft in diameter and 10" thick, with a
ratio of 1200:5.  I was really lucky (blessed) that my knuckle on the same
hand was touching ground, as the voltage was tremendous and I don't think I
would have survived that potential across my chest.

I can't say I fully grasp the theory yet.

Repeating the situation in the lab on a smaller scale showed that the rms
secondary voltage was much higher than the source that fed the primary. The
secondary is meant to be shorted (connected to an ammeter) during normal
operation. The primary voltage is hard to determine as it is a single pass
of cable through the core. I can say that the core has a tremendous effect
on the primary if the secondary is open circuited. The impedance of the
primary (single pass of welding cable) is markedly increased without the
secondary's field bucking the CEMF caused in the primary.

This seems to hold true to transformer theory, as Z secondary is reflected
to Z primary, and I can picture how this happens electromagnetically.
However, in the case of the CT there is not enough primary Z to limit
current (thus flux) in the primary when the secondary is open-circiuted.
(desireable in a CT circuit). Thus the primary flux is affected, but little.

This is where I lose the picture as to explaining what determines the
open-circuit secondary potential of a CT.  I need the picture before I can
apply a formula. If anyone has any ideas I'd be interested.

73, Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>