[Amps] Arcing

Radio WC6W wc6w at juno.com
Fri Mar 7 16:32:48 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:07:30 -0500 "Tom Rauch" <w8ji at contesting.com>
writes:
> > immediately. The CT was probably about 2ft in diameter and 10"
> thick, with a ratio of 1200:5.  I was really lucky (blessed) that my
knuckle on
> the same hand was touching ground, as the voltage was tremendous and I
> don't think would have survived that potential across my chest.

<snip>

> In your case the current transformer acts like a normal transformer
rather
> than an energy storage system, unless someone broke the line abruptly
at a
> sinewave peak. The problem is you can have considerable voltage drop
across
> the primary impedance, because the primary impedance can be high if the
> secondary is unterminated. With a sinewave signal you could have had
> hundreds of volts across the primary, which would be stepped up to many
> thousands of secondary volts.

Good afternoon Tom & the group,

The same formula works for unterminated secondaries in both transient and
continuous (AC) applications...

V(Secondary) = -M * dI(Primary)/dt      where M is the mutual inductance.

Note:  The derivative of a sine(wave) is...  the cosine

73 & Have a great weekend,
   Marv  WC6W