[Amps] AL-80B questions

ad5gb ad5gb at myway.com
Sun Mar 9 00:16:19 EST 2003

Greetings,

I finally got over to Don's house this evening to take a look at the amplifier.  I didn't realize my dip meter has quit functioning 'till I got there but my DVOM still works.  Filament voltage is 5.1V at the tube socket.  Plate V is 2.9KV.

The time period Tom, is within the last 6 months or so.  And I found out further that this is the 3rd tube failure and not the 4th.  I misunderstood him during the phone conversation the first night he called me about this.  Further, he's had it around a year or so, and not 6 months like I originally understood, but in an out-of-band email from Ameritron, I found out the amp is still under warranty.

Don was pretty insistent about installing the AG6K Low VHF-Q supressor kit based on the numerous articles written and also based on other amateur's reported success with the kit.  He also told me tonight that he knows a guy in Wyoming with an older AL-80 who apparently had similar problems 'till he installed a different supressor.  We did not install any of the other items in the kit yet.  I left him with a semi-worn Eimac bottle to use 'till his replacement arrives.

For extra luck we used a whole chicken Tom... and not just the leg.  :-)  Since I work for America's largest poultry producer, they're rather abundant.  :-) :-)  <kidding... we liked your joke!>

Power cycling wouldn't seem to be too much of a problem as it's normally on for the duration of operation... be it a 2 hour net or a marathon contest.  He doesn't switch the unit _on when he needs it_ and then _off again 'till he needs it again_.  I do know some people that do this and I wouldn't think it would do anything good at all to tubes.

I know that this has been a hotly debated topic here so I'm a bit reluctant to continue with this thread, but I'm a novice when it comes to RF electronics... but have a huge desire to learn.... scientifically.  Therefore, I'm curious to know if there are others on this reflector who've experienced similar problems (any brand amplifier) that have been successfully solved with the AG6K ( or another design ) VHF supressor. To round out the study, one would also need to know if someone had installed such a thing and found that it *did not* solve the problem it was intended to correct, or if it caused other problems.

I wonder if Amperex is making master cylinders?  I just replaced it on my Volkswagen for the 3rd time this year.

Sooooo much to learn..... Sooooooo little time

Kind regards all

Randy DuCharme (AD5GB)
--
Microsoft is NOT the answer
Microsoft is the question and the answer is NO!

Proud to be 100% Microsoft Free