[Amps] AL-80B questions

dj2001 at mn.rr.com dj2001 at mn.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 04:40:19 EST 2003

I currently have a AL80A, purchased used.  It still has the original
tube, the amp sn is 0156 so it's an old one, perhaps 15 years or more
old.  It runs good with 70 watts of drive I get about 800 out, I have
had it up to 1100 out for a short time to get the tube nice and hot,
I don't normally run this amp that hard, some do.  I don't think this
amp has any parasitics, but I have not tried this amp yet on the
higher bands, 15,20.  Don't have the ten meter conversion yet, by the
way anyone know whats involved to make the AL80A work on ten?  I did
have to replace a resistor in the Hv meter circut, it had changed
value from 1.5 meg to 2.8 meg.  I also installed a step start circut.
This is a nice amp for the money and it will get within a couple of
db of the legal limit, SSB.  I don't think I'd use it for rtty though.

Prior to the AL80A I had a TenTec Titan, which I purchased new and
had it for 12 years.  It still has the original tube and still puts
out full rated power plus.  I have never had a pop or anything that I
could say was a problem in that amplifier, no parasitics.

Prior to that I had a used Alpha 76CA, it also put out the full rated
power plus and I had that amp for several years, never any hint of a
parasitic or any problem of any kind.

Prior to that I had a TL922 which I  purchased used from another ham
here in town, again never any hint of a parasitic.  The only problem
I had with the 922 was that big clunky changeover relay, I had to get
in there and clean the contacts a couple of times.  This amp I was
always a little leary of though, don't know why, maybe it was that
big relay.  A very cool running amp though and put out a lot of power.

Prior to that I had a L4B by Drake, again purchased used, never a
hint of parasitics or other problems although I did have to replace
the tubes right off the bat as they were soft, I knew this when I
bought it, the guy was honest and told me they needed replacing, the
price was right as I recall.  A local purchase. The cabnit rattled
and buzzed though so I lifted one corner and stuck some paper under
one foot, that quieted it down some.  I had this amp for about 3
years.

Prior to that I had a used SB200, (ho-hum) never a hint of
parasitics, no problem of any kind with that amp, although it only
put out 500-600 watts, but that was my first amp and I may not have
been driving it very hard as I am a rather conserviative operator
especally back then.  In all fairness I never operated on the upper
bands with this amp, so I don't really know if it had any weirdness
or not.

Now after having all those amps and no problems you can see that I am
skeptical as to amplifier instability claims.  If you're careful
about tuning up and don't grab the band switch instead of the tuning
knob (TL922), keep the thing loaded a little bit heavy I think and
don't try to load up a ground, also keep your antenna and feedline in
good condition, you should be ok.  I don't know whats wrong with your
freinds amp, I  hope he gets it resolved soon, it seems to be going
thru tubes like crazy.

By the way out of all the amps I've had over the years the Alpha 76CA
was my favorite.  Something about those older Alphas that I liked.
The tubes are pricey though, $400 or so each!!

Does this help?  I know you wanted slightly different answers, but I
couldent help telling my story.

73
Dale K9VUJ