[Amps] AL-80B questions

dj2001 at mn.rr.com dj2001 at mn.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 06:34:14 EST 2003

>I use fault resistors in all my personal amps with large oil-filled
>capacitors or supplies over 3-4kV, but generally don't bother with small
>supplies using multiple reasonable sized electrolytics.
>
>You can see an example of a big amp scrolling down at:
>
>http://www.w8ji.com/My_Work.htm
>
>That style amp has 33-ohms of fault limiting, but runs at 8kV. Of course it
>has air flow monitoring and other protections like a triac power line dump
>during HV faults, and a three strike timer since it is for ISM commercial
>applications. I guess the bottom line is if the aggravation and cost exceeds
>the benefits or not.
>
>73 Tom

Yep, and I'll continue to procrastinate about it.  Maybe sometime
when I have the cover off again I'll look around for a place to put
one, but in the meantime I'll continue to use it as is.  Sometimes I
worry about doing modifications thinking if I get my grubby little
fingers in there and tweek something all hell will break loose and
I'll never get it back to the way it was.

A good saying is:   if it aint broke dont fix it.

Tnx 73

Dale K9VUJ