[Amps] AL-80B questions

rlm 2 at vc.net
Sun Mar 9 08:33:58 EST 2003

>Gentlemen:
>For what it's worth, my experience on this subject.
>
>A friend has a TL922A which gave him problems. First it was fried contacts
>on the bandswitch, then a burned out zener bias diode (twice), and finally a
>shorted 3-500Z. He reported hearing a sizzling/arcing sound on several
>occassions. This all over a period of probably a year or so. We purchased
>and installed AG6K's parasitic supressor kit, without using any of the other
>parts in the kit. He has not had any problems with the amp in 2 years since.
>
>And as a caveat to any who might be thinking of doing some work on your amp.
>I converted my SB220 over to QSK using AG6K's mods. Part of the mod involves
>removal of the zener cathode bias diode and installing a string of diodes on
>a board and an optoisolator and switching transistor to replace the original
>relay. The bias voltage is adjusted by selecting however many diodes in the
>string that produces the correct amount of bias. Since I had mounted the
>diodes on a board under the chasis, I had the amp laying on it's side on the
>bench so it could be accessed to make the adjustment. When I powered it up,
>the fireworks began. Ended up with a burned up grid choke, a couple burned
>up grid bypass caps, some fried diodes on the HV rectifier board. I am
>pretty sure that having the 3-550Z's in a horizontal position was the
>culprit, and the grids probably sagged over and shorted to the cathode.
>
>Moral of story: DON'T run your 3-500's laying on their sides.

I was curious about the no horizontal operation caveat from Eimac.  Being
a curious guy,  I operated a 3-500Z on the bench horizontally for a month
24/7 to see how much sag occurred.  I measured sag by measuring the
change in breakdown V from the grid to the filament.  The change was c.
1kv in one month with 5.0V on the filament.  Since a new 3-500Z has a
grid-fil BD of c. 8000V, my guess is that a day of horizontal operation
with 5.0v on the filament wouldn't be much of a problem unless one
operates QRO aeromobile in a stunt plane.    My guess is that the tubes
which produced the fireworks didn't have straight filament helices before
the were operated horizontally.  Incidently, a SB-220 breathes a fair
amount of cooling air if is inverted 180º provided the left side is not
obstructed.

cheers, Tom