[Amps] FL2100z help needed

Osten B Magnusson sm5dqc at algonet.se
Sun Mar 9 21:23:34 EST 2003

Hello Nermin and all other friends including Pete, N4ZR, who
also sent an answer to a tired old man who couldn't think clearly!

You were right Nermin, or as close as you could be! I didn't solder
the wire to the point you mentioned as there are three posistions
on the S7B wafer and where I can have everything connected is
the point where the 40 meter position is. That's the third contact
on the wafer  - seen from the 160 meter position -  there I'm with
the right C2 values on 40, if I go with the bandswitch to the left for
80 and 160 I add the padding C2 capacitors. Not that difficult to find
when I got your e-mail, thanks a lot, that wiring of the bandswitch that
is not as shown in the circiut diagram can give us gray hair, well I already
have as I'm going to be 63 years of age, hi. Anyway it now works on
all bands and the old Cetron 572B's, the original tubes, deliver around
850 watts on 160 if my Daiwa meter is correct, probably not!

When I checked the bandswitch more closely I could see why the wire
came loose from the soldering, the bandswitch has been replaced...
I think the bandswitch is the main problem with these amplifiers, no
need for VHF-parasitics, it burns anyway... Maybe the reason is that
besides very small contacts, that's very hot in there - those two small
fans below the tubes are more likely for toys. I have another FL2100Z
with burned bandswithch, but also have two new bandswitches, so
will repair this one also when I feel for it, it's a lot of things to remove
before you can solder in a new bandswitch. No more FL2100Z's, the
reason I got these two was that they have 160 meters  -  sometimes...

Now I will build myself an amplifier for 80 and 160 only, with the
bandswitch and other components of heavy duty class. I will use two
4-250A's which will give me a cold KW out on these bands. One KW
is our legal limit here in Sweden. You may use more in Slovenia I
think Nermin, but can you use SSB on 14025 KHz? We can do that
here, we no longer have any bandsegments in our regulations, but
hopefully the Swedish DX'ers will follow the IARU-recommendations!

Once again thanks Nermin, 73/DX de Osten SM5DQC

ARRL DXCC Cardchecker  sm5dqc at algonet.se or sm5dqc at arrl.net