[Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 3, Issue 49

rlm 2 at vc.net
Tue Mar 11 12:44:39 EST 2003

>Hello, Eric...
>
>I have read, enjoyed, and learned a lot from your many postings.   As a
>fellow type 'A' personality, I have written many responses to postings that
>contained errors and plain old B.S....   Many times, after sending my
>SHOULD HAVE written my comments in a more constructive manner.   Now, I
>write...and wait a while...before actually sending the post.

**   The advantage of Newsgroup discussions is that one has a brief
opportunity to remove an erronius post.  The disadvantage of mailing-list
discussions is that no such opportunity exists.   The advantage of
mailing-list discussions is that they are moderated, so if a member
questions the specious reasoning of some revered guru, his groupies can
go to the moderator and plead for relief by jackbooting out that member.
This seems to have happened twice to yours truly on AMPS.   History tells
us that the Grate Parasitics Debate began on a Newsgroup and moved to a
mailing-list seemingly to protect a guru.

>I've read your public apology and the reasons for your original commentary
>about the book.   The realization of your error and public acknowledgment
>has reinforced my opinion of you, both as a fine technician and as a person.
>If others would step back and look at their writings and commentaries before
>hitting 'SEND', we would have a better forum for the exchange of valuable
>technical ideas and information.
>
>Many times, I am reminded of the often-used quotation of the carpenter...
>Measure TWICE, CUT ONCE...!

**  Chortle.  On a mailing-list, it's copy-edit twice post once.

>Eric... Keep up the good work...  I like the way you think...!
>
>73, Larry Feldman, W1GOR, NCE, CET, ARRL (LM)...

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end