[Amps] reading 8-10kv with a digital multimeter?

Gary Smith mandolinist at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 14 09:56:12 EST 2003

Hi all,

Not quite related to amps exactly but I need a HV solution someone here might be
able to help me with.

I need to check diode integrity of some microwave oven diodes. I'm trying to build an
two electrostatic type filters & need a + & - HV supply. I'm going to get the HV via a
neon transformer rated at 6.3kv @ 30ma. I've obtained two hv diodes from
microwaves put out to curb for pickup. The only device I have to check them is a
Radio Shack digital multimeter cat # 22-812 & it will register a max of 1kv DC & 750V
AC. I suspect the diodes are a string of diodes and aren't indicating anything  when I
test them with the ohm meter & "diode checking function" of the meter.

I would like to use this multi-meter to tell me if the diodes are intact and would also
like to observe the voltage characteristics when this project is under load. I don't
have a high voltage probe & am thinking that I might be able to get a decent reading
if I use a resistor in series with the probe.

Might someone have a suggestion of what I can do from here to accomplish this?

Thanks

73,

Gary
KA1J