[Amps] AC circuit analysis

RFlabnotes at aol.com RFlabnotes at aol.com
Mon Mar 17 11:53:25 EST 2003

Dave:
       Your assumption that we all assume steady-state,sinusoidal variables
in AC circuits is simply not true, and I don't see why you bothered to launch
the tirade about it. Those of us who do circuit analysis seriously are fully
aware of methods for dealing with transient and non-linear elements. When the
circuit conditions simplify to a steady state, we welcome and take advantage
of that. But your implication that we don't know any better is denigrating.

       Also, good engineers clearly understand the dividing line between
lumped and distributed circuits, and if they are really on top of it, they
know how to estimate the ranges of validity oe each. Your language seems to
imply that you are the only one who knows these things, and that you must
warn the rest of us lest we inadverdantly apply (naively) Ohm's law where EM
field analysis is required.

       These issues ALL come under the scope of AC circuit analysis, which
serves us well up into the lower VHF region. For the benefit of the less
knowledgable (about advanced circuit theory) the boundary between lumped
circuit theory and field theory is in the frequency region where the physical
dimensions of circuit elements become a significant fraction of a wavelength.
Above this frequency range, you just can't get anywhere without solving
Maxwell's eqs.

73
Eric von Valtier K8LV