[Amps] Silly idea?

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 18 16:58:45 EST 2003

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your response.

It's pretty clear that the first thing I need to do is make sure that the
filament voltage is right.  One of the ways I've heard to do that is via a
rheostat on the primary side of the transformer.  That sounds great for an
isolated filament transformer, but the transformer in the AL80A contains
windings for the filament, 12 VDC supply, and the B+.  So, my thought is to
check the filament voltage when the line voltage is highest (which I think
is in the evening or morning) and insert appropriate resistance,
appropriately rated, in the filament supply.

You're right, though: I don't operate enough to worry about the stand-by
hours.  I should be so lucky!

Thanks again, Tom!

Kim Elmore, N5OP