[Amps] Glitch resistor?

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 19:52:21 EST 2003

gd0tep wrote:
>Is there any reason why I can't use a carbon rod for a glitch resistor?
>i.e. the resistor found in many of the 100w dry dummy loads...

Go for it, if the price is right and you have the space.

50 ohms is on the high side of what you really need to protect the tube
against a glitch (current surge) but that means it will be even more
effective.

Very long resistors like these have the lowest probability of arcing
from end to end, when the full anode voltage momentarily appears across
the resistor. Because of the large surface area, surface temperatures
are reduced as well.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'