[Amps] Parasites (parasitics)

2 2 at vc.net
Thu Mar 27 07:12:56 EST 2003

>Dear Rich,
>
>I have an Alpha 77SX with a low frequency problem (parasitic?).  The sympton
>only shows up on 160 meters, where the grid current at maximum output and
>apparently proper loading  is about 350 ma. instead of 100 to 150 ma. or
>less.

**  this does not sound like a parasitic.

>For 1500 watts output I have about 400 ma plate current.   I cannot
>find any fuzzies on a Heath or Yaesu monitor scope.  Drive is 45 to 50
>watts.  The exciter is an FT-1000MP.
>
>On 80, for 1500 watts out it takes 45 watts drive, 100 ma grid current and
>about 400 ma. plate current.
>
>I have used both the original RFChoke and an Ameritron choke out of an
>AL1500 and there is no change in the high grid current.
>
>Do you have any thoughts?

**  I would:
1. measure the f.s. accuracy of the grid-current meter.
2. upgrade the 160m Tank-C padders to capacitors that are rated for
tuned-circuit use.
3.  Since two 8877s exhibit 0.2pF of feedback C, lowering the VHF-Q of
the suppressors might be a good idea.  Another gimmick to ameliorate the
effect of feedback C at VHF is to install a series R-C VHF load at the
cathode.  Typical values are 10 or so ohms and 30 - 200pF in series --
use short leads.   The R should have minimal intrinsic L. [note --  The C
added by this network subtracts from C-2 in the tuned inputs.]
--  What is the value of the HV+ glitch resistor?

have phun, George    K8GG

East
>> >tomorrow  morning.
>>
>> 5)  My position:  Trying to squeeze out the last watt at 29MHz is
>> probably not going to do  much for reducing VHF gain.
>> History tells those who will listen that betting against Mr. Murphy is
>> neither likely to be good engineering practice or likely to be profitable.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end