[Amps] Help with step start

Ed Stallman n5blz1 at houston.rr.com
Sat May 3 16:34:36 EDT 2003

For my step start, I'm using a 0 to 5 sec. timer set at 3 sec. to a 120
volt coil , 25 amp contacts, that bypass 15 ohm 30 watt resisters in each
leg of the 240 V. .. The problem I'm having is the 25 amp contacts  flash
over, after some time.
I went through 3 relays in 3 years!
I turn the PS on using a 40 Amp breaker and the last time I used the PS, I
seen a small flash on the breaker.
later today I'm going to change the relay, using a motor start relay with
30 amp contacts.

here's some more details on the supply,
PD transformer, 220 pri. 3000 sec at 1.5 amp ccs
37 Uf  oil cap at 5000 volts
K2AU full wave bridge
I think the bleeder resister is 250 ohm / 250 watts?  will check this later.
The supply is used for a 2 X 8877
Hope I gave enough info ?
Thanks Ed N5BLZ-------------- next part --------------

---