[Amps] 3CX800s back to life....

Floyd Sense sentek at sprintmail.com
Tue May 6 14:22:03 EDT 2003

Well, I can't say that these tubes spent their entire lives in an AL-800H -
just don't know.  This amp had been abused before I acquired it and it's
entirely possible that the tubes it came to me with were not original.  If I
had to guess, I'd say that this amp had been used in a continuous output
mode such as RTTY or SSTV at above the suggested output.  The 160/80 meter
coil plastic rods had melted allowing the coil turns to collapse into one
another.  Not something that would have caused the gold problem maybe, but
indicative of abuse at any rate.  I find that the grid protection circuit
works quite well and have never seen any indication of instability in the
amp.