[Amps] sb-230 mods

2 2 at vc.net
Sun May 18 00:37:26 EDT 2003

>On Saturday 17 May 2003 01:49 pm, you wrote:
>
>> **  say the word and I will send you a low vhf-Q suppressor kit for an
>> SB-230.  If it does not evict the squirrels, it's free.  If it works, it
>> is $13 plus postage.
>>

>Thanks Rich,
>  I ran across your website in my hunt and was thinking about it, I'm game to
>try it  and see what happens...
>  I'm watching the grid current jump around on some bands and its also overly
>sensitive to drive levels  so I know something is going on in there...

** Provided that the drive level is constant, grid current jumping around
is an indicator of loose gold meltballs on the anode/grid ceramic
insulator.  Tapping the tube firmly with the anode/plate cap up will help
to settle loose gold out of harm's way into the base of the tube.  (note
-- the source of gold is the gold plating on the molybdneum grid.

>all of this is into a known good 50 ohm load, haven't even tried it on the
air
>yet. just been going through and cleaning it up and basically rebuilding it
as I
>go, removing the extra 1/2 to 1" of lead length on all the caps and such,
>one of the benefits of heathkits, Ya never know what you got till you open it
>up... every one is a surprise...

**  kind of like a box of chocolates.

>let me know what the total with shipping is and I will mail you off a check..

**   send a cheque only if the squirrels have left.