[Amps] Amps at Dayton

morel morelg at 013.net.il
Wed May 21 20:54:20 EDT 2003

Hi Dave,

Thank you for sharing with us your impressions. While Dishtronix amp seems
to be still in the very early engineering stages, it's good that they are
new players on already troubled amplifier market. As no R&D efforts on
hi-power devices are made, it looks that we have to accept for more years
IMD of not much than thirty dB on solid state. It is still interesting how
Dishtronix solved various thermal design problems, output filtering and
reliable solid state QSK-ing. The rest (protections, auto-tuning, digital
metering and all the uP related stuff) are less challenging today -
excluding of course the cost issues.
Commander and QRO are still on the market, it's possible they didn't find
anymore interest in Dayton.
The new Kenwood solid state TL-933 looks like they took the last JRC SS amp
and changed the logo only. It should be in the Quadra and IC-PW1 class of
price and performance.
I guess that the connoiseurs will still go for next years for conservative
designs around Eimac/Svetlana tubes.
By the way, it's a pity you didn't take the time visit the ACOM to see
inside the not-so-new 2000 model. It's very well built and designed
(surprisingly for AMP purists) and anyway it has a much better engineering
than Emtron. Their customer service is also very good.

73
Morel
4X1AD