[Amps] Ten Tec 425 amp

rlm
Mon Nov 3 05:57:29 EST 2003

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 04:40  AM, john naberezny wrote:

> Hi People,
>     does anyone know if there is a subsitute blower available or how
> to quiet down this blower?
>     There is a problem on 15 meters(only) with not getting full
> output. There is a big 10 ohm wirewound ceramic resistor in series
> with the HV (connected in series with the plate RF choke), its mounted
> in front of the blower input, the ceramic has flaked off one
> side....any connection betwixt these ?

***  Probably not.  The wirewound resistor is for glitch protection.
Flaking is usually caused by a +HV arc to ground -- either outside or
inside the tubes.  If a moth or spider gets into the HV circuitry
outside the tubes, there will be a bang.  If there's a gold-sputter arc
inside a tube, very little noise will be heard.  Either event can cause
a too-puny R to flake.  The fix is to reduce the V-gradient across the
glitch-R by putting two such resistors in series.[note -- glitch
resistors should be stout enough to survive a HV short to ground
without any damage]   Another solution is to use a Globar
surge-protection resistor (type SP) that can handle the # of joules
stored in the HV filter caps.
--  As to the lack of power on 15m:  is the Tune-C at the limit when
the amp is tuned for max out?  What is the anode/plate-I reading on
15m?  thanks

cheers, John

Rich Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734.  www.somis.org/