[Amps] About single 4CX250b output power

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Tue Nov 4 09:35:25 EST 2003

I noticed a cathode driven amplifier in one of my old Radio Handbooks.  It
used a pair of 4CX250 tubes. I suspect cathode drive would provide less
distortion. Also, oddly enough in a very old QST there was a  single
cathode driven 4X150A amplifier but it was operating zero bias.  This is
the only one that I have seen like this. I suspect the tubes did not last
long.   I knew a ham that tried all sorts of things to operate 4x150As
cathode driven with zero bias. He only had two successes. One was with a
large resistor in series with the control grid. And the other was with the
control grid connected to the cathode. The second seemed to work but took
lots of drive power. Naturally he did not make any IMD measurements. This
was about 30 years ago.

73
Bill wa4lav