[Amps] SB-220

ka1xo at juno.com ka1xo at juno.com
Thu Nov 6 01:08:00 EST 2003

We're really hashing this one to death!
Needless to say, over 35 years of HR I still remember using the '220
with a tube-operated HB 80-10 xcvr, and I worked CW (sans QSK, of course), and SSB with no problems.

After some experience in BC radio I liked to gently warm up filaments to avoid sag as much as possible and that may have been the reason for the inrush resistor. It's >25 years since and there's a lot of fish fried in that pan.

Whatever happened to AMP SUPPLY? There's one model they made, the LK-500Z that had three 3-500Z's. I added a grid current monitor board and a set of nichrome parasitic chokes and that amp did real well. I'd love to have one of those again.

Lastly, the stupidest move I ever made was selling my 77-Sx for $4K.
There's another unit I'd spend the big bucks on. Dual 8877's and the amp modified for grid control and parasitics: 5.1 KW if I wanted to be crazy, but at 2KW it just loafed. Find me one of them and I'd spend the big bucks all over again.

The only facet of the '220 that I can remember as not too appealing was the color scheme. Heath made a hell of an amp kit. It was worth every nickel and it kept on working.

Hal
KA1XO/4