[Amps] 4CX1600B

rlm r at somis.org
Tue Nov 11 19:04:18 EST 2003

>Rich Measures writes:
>> - - -   Does the circuit in which the 4cx1600 is used have a grid
>> terminating R?  If so, is there an inductor in series with said R?  If
>> so, how much L?  tnx.
>
>Hi Rich

Hello, Rich, de Rich.

>It looks like Ray, QRO, added the resistor after 1995 as a mod. It
>also has an inductor in series but the value is not marked in the drawing.
>Why do you ask?

***   - - Because an inductor in series with the grid terminating R does
three things:
the good:  1. Reduces 10m SWR by cancelling grid XC with XL.
the bad:   2.  Increases level of anode to grid VHF feedback signal
arriving at grid.
the ugly:  3.  regeneration may take place, usually during a contest, of
course.
-  Note -- the source of the VHF feedback signal is the damped-wave
ringing which takes place at the anode resonance when anode current
increases or decreases.
-  Thus, it may be that the bang was the end result of a regeneration at
the frequency of the anode resonance.  This resonance can be measured
with a dipmeter on either side of the DC-blocker-cap.   The reason for
the bang is that VHF is blocked by the low-pass HF tank, so it has no
place to go, runs amuck, and a HV-to-gnd arc may take place..