[Amps] Drake L-7 failure...amp vs L7-PS power supply?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Fri Nov 14 12:27:42 EST 2003

Torrey,

Did you hear a loug band on both attempts, or just on
the first attempt. How about the visible arcing, did you
see it on both attempts?

How about meter readings?  When the close the key line
with no RF drive, are you still getting normal zero signal
anode  current (~140mA). How about grid current?

BTW, you are correct the 0.82 ohm resistor is supposed
to be a high voltage fuse. A number of amplifier gurus
recommend that this be replaced with a high voltage globar
type glitch resistor (10 to 30 ohms). The idea is to limit the
instantaneous anode current to a reasonable value in the
case that a high voltage fault occurs in the RF deck. The
0.82 ohm resistor "fuse" may not blow fast enough or it
may arc across. In either case, this will allow for a very high
instantaneous dump current when the capacitor bank dumps
it charge through the fault which in turn can damage the
tubes.