[Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Nov 16 01:56:40 EST 2003

>     Cruising the Internet, I'm intrigued by those using three-phase power
>supplies. At what power level does that become prudent? 10kW??

**  Three-phase makes life easier even at 1.5kW.    Single-phase just
means more effort and filter-C is required.   Also, mode makes a big
difference.  For 24/7 broadcasting, three-phase is clearly the way to go.
 However, SSB is different due to its low average duty-cycle.  From
personal experience, I know that a 240V/40A circuit breaker will not trip
with a 14kW out SSB amplifier.  [Photos of this amp are on my Web site].
NB -- this amplifier was tuned up with a tuning pulser.  Power was
measured by measuring peak V-out with an oscilloscope and a 100-1 HV
probe and using E^2 x R to find P.