[Amps] inductive tuned output network

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Tue Nov 18 16:05:36 EST 2003

I think it was you, Bill, who inquired Nov 4 about the use of
inductive tuning in the Johnson amplifier above 14 MHz. I just
received an old Eimac W6SAI Amateur Service Newsletter from July 1970
titled Inductively Tuned HF Tank Circuit. In it, the late Bill Orr
talks about what to do when you reach the 'shadow region' where
conventional lumped circuits don't work well, but stripline isn't
feasible.

By removing the tuning capacitor, and only using a high Q inductor
and output loading capacitor, he shows how to make it work in a dual
3-1000Z amplifier for 5 kW input from 27 - 54 MHz.

73
John
K5PRO