[Amps] Pin Diodes questions

Victor Vickers vickers1002 at charter.net
Thu Nov 20 00:21:16 EST 2003

Discussing Pin Diodes in RF amplifiers

The problem of obtaining in my earlier post was for the Alpha 89 for a friend. I own one and a friend WW4US owns the failed unit.
We were researching the problem this weekend before Crosslink opened. Since then Crosslink is shipping the needed KS1001 pin diodes.

Please do not address some of the below suggestions about how it may be absurd. Be constructive.
The suggestions have been listed as hams this weekend offered them up.

New questions:

*  What can one do to protect RF Amps using pin Diodes?

         Suggestions and Solutions to date from on the air hams:
           I. Addressing static discharge
                    A .   Install High value resistor across amp output i.e. 300K
                    B.    Provide a antenna with DC ground path. i.e. loop antennas, dipole
               with coaxial stub., and high impedance choke to antenna.
                    C.    Alpha has a gas discharge arrestor right at the output connector. Is this adequate and
               what level of static discharge protection does this provide?
                    D.    Short coax to gnd after reconnecting to amp after being disconnected.
           2. High SWR
                    A.    Self explanatory
           3. Install more rugged Pin Diodes.
                    A.    All Internet searches vague on what to replace the KS 1001 with.
                    B.    Manufacturers sources for replacements for the KS 1001
                    C.    Are the KS 1001 Pin Diodes used in Alpha amps still in production and
               who is the manufacturer?
           4. Check and Modify pin diode sequencing circuit.
                    A.    Change the Value of the factory fuse in the pin diode circuit on the
               alpha pin diode amps.

KB4TCU
Victor Vickers