[Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 08:00:58 EST 2003

G3RZP wrote:

>It's not usual to provide 3 phase mains in the UK to domestic premises.
>Some country areas have 2 phase - that's what I have. There's an 11kV 3
>phase line to a transformer near the house, and the output from that is 2
>phases and neutral; with 440 between phase and 230 between neutral and
>phase.

In Britain the system varies according to the population density, and
also the old regional Electricity Boards did things in slightly
different ways.

In towns and villages, distribution is almost always 440V 3-phase from
transformers every quarter to half a mile. 3 phases plus neutral run
along the road, either in a buried cable or as 4 wires on poles.
Individual homes get one of those phases plus neutral, with the load
roughly spread along all three phases as you go along the road. This has
interesting consequences if you're putting RF into the mains - the RFI
tends to skip a house or two, either side!

Generally, only industrial premises get all three phases. For example a
farm might have 3-phase into the barns, but even then that's not
necessarily for 3-phase equipment - they might connect different
buildings to a different single phase. The farmhouse would certainly be
connected to only one of those phases, because there's no need for all
three.

Distribution in very rural areas tends to be 3-phase 11kV as far as they
can go, but as they come near the end of the network there's nowhere
left to spread the load on different phases. Then they fall back to
single-phase HV for the last few miles, with two wires on poles and a
transformer to 230V at the far end. If there were two separate buildings
to supply, they might use a 230-0-230V transformer and supply a
different single phase to each... but still an individual home would
only be single-phase.

So it's chicken-and-egg - in Britain, no homes are supplied with 3-phase
because 3-phase household electrical equipment doesn't exist... so no
homes are supplied with 3-phase.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'