[Amps] YC156 Tube Pros & Cons

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Nov 24 05:13:21 EST 2003

>Gentlemen,
>
>I have for some time been "flirting" with the idea of building an amp using
>the YC156
>tube form EIMAC.  I understand this is a "MRI" version of the 3CPX5000???!!!
>
>Before I "dive in" with this project, I would appreciate any comments,
>suggestions,
>or criticisms of the tube choice.
>
>Has any one had any negative experiences with this tube, or maybe some
>constructive advise?

**  Free advice.
1.  Allow an extra half-minute pre-heat.  (George Badger)
2.  Do not ground either side of the heater.
3.  Connect one side of the heater to the cathode and use a 10 - 15 uH
bifilar heater/cathode choke.
4.  Do not dismiss the anode-cathode (feedback) C as insignificant.
5.  Do not presume that all of the tuned circuits are shown on the
schematic-diagram.
--   When Eimac states that the 8877's ratings for "Amplifier or
Oscillator Service" are yadda, yadda, yadda, they are not talking through
their hats.
--  In February, 1986,  Eimac's Chief Specs Engineer, Bill Foote, told me
that it is the responsibility of the amplifier design engineer to see to
it that the tube in use does not oscillate.
--  In other words:  Tube's that won't oscillate do not amplify.