[Amps] DC went to AC power transmission 112 years ago

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Mon Nov 24 10:22:50 EST 2003

When the silver and gold mines near Telluride and Ourey, Colorado
were producing in the 1890s, steam  or water-driven dynamos provided
DC to feed the mine machinery (water pumps, and compressors
probably). Along the road to some of the mines southwest of Ourey,
the foundations of the old DC plants can be found. This all changed
with Mr. Tesla sold Mr. Nunn his alternator. The story of the Ames,
Colorado hydro plant is here:

http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/milestones_photos/ames.html

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/ames.htm

Last time I drove by the thing was still running, with a 1912 Pelton
water wheel (replaced the original) and a newer alternator. The
armature of the original machine is supposed to be sitting rusting in
the center of Telluride, but i have never found it.

Once Niagra got converted to AC (25 cycles of course) then the demise
of DC power transmission was secured. Thomas Edison's companies lost
the battle. Westinghouse became the dominate AC company.

Now, we are using DC again for extreme HV transmission. Wonder if old
Edison is laughing in his grave.

Somewhere from the old AIEE pubs in our library, I found an original
article about the Gold Mine AC power work that Tesla was doing in the
first half of 1890s. I gotta look for that again, really interesting
stuff. They discussed losses, the insulation problems with rain and
snow, everything that is now obvious.

73
John
K5PRO