[Amps] rf drive

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Sat Oct 4 14:41:05 EDT 2003

carl seyersdahl wrote:
> Here's a question I never gave any thought to in the past.
>    does the rf drive required for one amplifier tube double when using two
> tubes??

It depends.  If it's an amplifier that's totally driven by the voltage
swing of the drive across a resistor (class AB1 or A) then the answer is
No.  If the tube draws grid current (and therefore power is used to
drive it), then Yes.

Now the really interesting question is: what about fed-through power in
a g-g amplifier?  This isn't technically part of the drive power, since
it is not consumed to drive the amplifier -- it just appears in the
output.

Vic K2VCO