[Amps] Soft 8877???

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Oct 6 20:55:55 EDT 2003

>Hello All,
>
>A quick newbie question.
>I recently picked up an old Henry 3K X
>that had sat unused for the last 17 years.
>This is the version with the 8877.
>This is my first 8877 based amp and I'm seeing
>some odd behavior:
>
>Max power out 700W. (from what I understand
>I should be getting 3X that.)
>Virtually no grid current.
>Plate voltage looks ok, 4000V in SSB 3000V in CW mode. However, the output
>does not change from one plate voltage to another. Just seems to hover
>around
>500-700W. I have tried driving it to 900mA on the plate
>and 400mA on the plate, observed some difference but
>not much, maybe 25% difference.
>
>Any ideas? At first I thought it might be the tuning circuits

If the P-out is ok on the lowest band, there could be a problem with the
bandswitch's L-contacts.  If the 40m L-contact is intact and the P-out on
80m and 160m is low, the problem could be in the Tune-padder bandswitch
contacts for 80 and 40.
--  The 8877 should be checked with a hi-pot at 8kV to see if any gold
has left the grid.  (this condition can usually be ameliorated)