[Amps] Conditioning Spare Tubes After Storage

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Oct 12 06:39:53 EDT 2003

>I have a pair of 4CX800A tubes that have been on
>the shelf here for a few years (and for an unknown
>period before I got them). I'm about to swap them
>into one of my Alpha 91b amps.
>
>Is there a recommendation to let these tubes run
>without HV for a period before pressing them into
>full service?
>
>I did a search of the archives, and it seems that
>there is no consensus on the need for this procedure
>for any but the largest "tubes with handles".

€   Even for a gassy tetrode with handles, I have never found one that
would magikly get mo' betta by operating the filament.  The bottom-line
seems to be:  if there's gas, you'd better pass.  However, if there's a
leaky ceramic-metal seal, Econco can resolder it during the rebuilding
process.  It is my opinion that Ham radio is not free from old wives'
tales.

cheers,

-  R.L. Measures/Rich..., AG6K, 805.386.3734, www.somis.org