[Amps] Re: Ionized Gas in the Tube

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 08:19:30 EDT 2003

Pat Barthelow wrote:
>Is the location of the glow important?   I used to see Blue glow on the
>inside glass of 4-400A amps, and was once told that this is normal, and
>not indicative of Gas in the tubes.  It was some kind of interaction of
>high velocity electrons with the glass.  (kind of like Cherenkov
>Radiation?)  Gas glows have to occur in between the cathode and the
>plate.....Is that correct?

Yes. The blue glow on the inside of the glass is due to stray electrons
hitting the glass, and you see something similar through the ceramic of
some tubes.

A gas discharge occurs in what should be empty space *between* the
electrodes.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'