[Amps] 1200 vs 1500 triodes

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 24 09:52:05 EDT 2003

I vote for the 3CX1500A7/8877-based amplifier also. I helped design
an FM broadcast amplifier using it in 1983, and it easily produced
1500 watts of CW output class C at 108 MHz. Last year I converted a
RF Power Products plasma generator from 13.56 to ~4-5 MHz for a
scientific application. It had a questionable old tube in it, as it
was pulled from another experiement in a different lab. When I
finished, it fired up immediately at 1200 watts without a burp, no
'gas', no 'oscillations', very stable.

That tube has a myrad of applications, and even though expensive, it
is a good part. There have been periods (as with many tubes) where
the mfr had a production glitch. However, based on the limited
application of the 3CX1200 in ham amps, and the domination of
commercial and scientific/medical/military apps for the 8877, the
answer is fairly obvious.
John
K5PRO