[Amps] FL-2100F

R_Davis WD8JJA at arrl.net
Sun Oct 26 22:15:47 EST 2003

Copy to AMPS reflector.

H & W Electronics <info at handwelectronics.com>:

Did you get a satisfactory answer to this, yet?

I have an FL-2100B with similar symptoms.
I used to have normal (~.090) bias, was able to drive it to > 500mils, and
it put out 700 - 800 watts peak normally (more if I crowded it).  Now I get
only about 60 mA bias, can only drive it to 250-300 mA, and get 300 watts
out, at best.  Also, driving it real hard, the LOAD control stays at or near
0.
Those are my symptoms.

Possible related causes: One time, I accidentally was tuning into the
internal dummy load of my Dentron MT-3000A which is rated for 200 watts and
is protected by an internal fuse. I popped the fuse, but quit as soon as I
saw the SWR skyrocket.
On another occasion, and I cannot remember if it was before or after,  I
heard a "TINK" from the amp.
Neither time did I notice these symptoms immediately, but it has only been a
few months since the blown fuse and the "TINK".

Is the concensus that the tubes are now soft?  Funny thing, I checked it
with one tube at a time, and with either tube in either socket, I can drive
it to over 200 mA, maybe even 250 with my FT-101E.  But I can't get 500 mA
with both tubes in. HV still looks good @ 2400V, dropping to around 2200
under load.  ALC action looks normal, but at only about 300 watts out. I
haven't cut the ALC line yet to see if it is holding it back.  I don't think
it is since I.C. on the exciter looks normal.

Any suggestions before I by a new set of bottles??

Rick, WD8JJA.