[Amps] About single 4CX250b output power

rlm
Thu Oct 30 04:33:29 EST 2003

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 01:00  PM, Mike Tubby wrote:

> [...]

Eimac measures IMD relative to two tones, so the IMD relative to PEP is
31db-down instead of 25db-down.  However, I found that with 2400vdc on
the anodes of 4cx250s, and loading for a minimal amount of screen
current, the IMD products were no worse with the amp on than with the
transceiver alone.  The reason for this is that most of the distortion
is produced at lower anode voltages,  Thus, for SSB only, raising the
anode supply V, and minimizing screen I helps to minimize anode V
incursion into the distortion zone.  //  Another way to minimize IMD is
to select a tube with more peak emission.  Eimac puts a "J" suffix on
such devices. Since there is no such thing as a free lunch, more peak
emission means more filament power is consumed.  Typically, this is c.
35% more than for the normal version of the tube.  Naturally, the
characteristic curves of J-version tubes are much flatter at the
low-end than the garden variety version.  For example, the J version of
the 4cx10000D has an IMD of c. 47db-down below PEP, or far better than
any transceiver made today, but it has a 104A filament instead of a 75A
filament.

cheerz