[Amps] RE: Lubircation of Roller Inductors

Paul Marbourg zborg at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 23:43:29 EDT 2003

I would like to thank all the kind people who responded to my question regarding the best lubricant for sliding contacts in an old EF Johnson edge-wound roller inductor.  Molybdenum disulfide is the obvious winner here.  Applied as a slurry solution in a very light film application seems to be the best choice.  Avoiding mineral or silicone oil carriers allows for a dry-lubricating molecular film which does not attract dust.  Unlike graphite, which tends to be displaced by mechanical shear forces, molybdenum disulfide bonds to the metal substrate and has innate metal-like conductivity.  I found the web site http://metalshopper.websitecandy.com/category.asp?category=19 Rose Mill Company and their line of Bemol Lubricants.  They can provide bulk/small quantities of Molybdenum Disulfide in various grades and particle sizes.

Using a metal-bearing grease type lubricant does not seem like a good choice here.  Aside from potential hydrocarbon or silicone oil contamination of dielectric surfaces (aka: vacuum variable insulators), the metal in the lubricant substrate is not as efficient in conducting RF as an innately conducting substance like molybdenum disulfide.

Now if I could just make my amp do something truly useful like mow my lawn...................................

Thanks again for the help.
73, Paul WN7T