[Amps] Metcal soldering iron and microscopes

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Mon Sep 15 10:53:47 EDT 2003

Chris, GW4DGU, stated:

>The trick is to get decent optical aids. Looking across at my bench, I have
>a x10 binocular microscope (brought on eBay for about USD50), a large lens
>magnifier, and a pair of 3dioptre throwaway reading glasses. I don't use
>them all at once!
>
>A good soldering tool is also important. I use a Metcal iron, having
>abandoned the Weller TCP route nearly a decade ago. That seems to have been
>the case in most of labs I visit. The price of the Metcal tools is
>unfortunately significantly greater than that of the Wellers.

I followed the same path to be able to work with SMD at home. Found a
binocular microscope at a hamfest, guy was sellling a bunch of old
style scopes from Intel factory nearby. Mine had a loose eyepiece
(whatever you call the little lens assembly that fits next to your
eye) so I just put a small rubber band around it to stabilize it. it
was <$100 US dollars. I also got a Metcal RF soldering iron for about
$25 from a local junk dealer. Had to replace the cord and handle and
tip. They are wonderfully designed units when they are working. Mine
has an occasional intermittent. Inside of Metcal stations there is a
13.56 MHz crystal and a power amplifier to drive a small induction
coil heating the tip. The cord is a special flexible silicone coaxial
cable!

73
John
K5PRO