[Amps] Metcal contact with MOV?

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 17 12:19:00 EDT 2003

The contacts of the Metal tip happen to be a coaxial connector, with
13.56 MHz RF power. I don't believe it would be wise to put MOV
across that, due to the stray capacitance of the MOV and the RF
voltage in that resonant circuit around the induction coil. The
coaxial structure is a bit fragile, but the Metcal has done some
amazing engineering to get those stations to work so well.

John
K5PRO