[Amps] MetCal Soldering Tools

Chris Bartram gw4dgu at blaenffos.org
Wed Sep 17 19:12:53 EDT 2003

>Obviously, any gadget that operates by **RF POWER** can't be bad... but
what's especially good about soldering with a Metcal?<

Try one and see Ian! I rarely see Wellers in labs nowadays.

I think they use an eddy current heating technique to deliver heat a lot
closer to the tip than is possible with older designs. They also make a
range of tips more suited to soldering current devices than Weller. I had to
soldering with a 200W Solon......

The problem for amateur use, as Steve hinted, is the price.

73

Chris
GW4DGU