[Amps] Heath SB-230 conversion?

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 23:19:31 EDT 2003

As others have noted, the mechanical arrangement of the SB-230 with the
original conduction-cooled 8873 makes fitting a more readily available
axial-cooled external anode tube difficult.

In examining the SB-230 layout, it appears to me that borrowing a common
trick from VHF amps might help; that is, forcing the air into the anode
area and out through the cooling fins rather than trying to force air from
below the chassis.  While I've not laid out the design on CADD to work out
all the details, it would appear to me that once the heat sink is discarded
and a metal panel substituted to close off the opening, a non-conductive
enclosure could be built around the tube (which would protrude out the
top).  Similar construction was used in the MLA-2500 conversion article on
the Svetlana web site.

I have a friend who owns an SB-230 with a zorched 8873, and one these days
I'll attempt some sort of the conversion.

Dave/K8CC