[Amps] Al-811 Troubleshooting - Problem Solved

VA3NR va3nr at arrl.net
Fri Sep 26 00:52:09 EDT 2003

My thanks to all who replied to help me understand the problem I was having with an AL-811.
It was blowing fuses immediately on power up.  Based on suggestions, I checked HV supply diodes & capacitors - all OK.  Then I secured the plate connectors with plastic cable ties & tried powering up amp with tubes removed - HV came up OK.  I felt confident after that ordering & installing new tubes*.  Amp is working normally again.

(* Quick delivery on a matched set from RF Parts - good service.)

Thanks,
Chris VA3NR