[Amps] RFConcepts Mini-Amp 144

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Thu Apr 1 08:20:52 EST 2004

I recently acquired a RFConcepts Mini-Amp 144, it is rated for 30 watts output.  I was "told" it would work for SSB, however the relays for Rx pre-amp and Rx/Tx are chattering in the SSB mode.  This is something I believe that can be corrected with a timing delay capacitor (larger value electrolytic) across the keying circuits for both relays to cause them to hang longer.  The bias on the PA looks like a common diode and resistor combination: 130 ohm 2W from + 12VDC power supply to cathode of diode with anode to ground to make a .5 volt bias to a 10 ohm followed by 47 microhenry to Rx/Tx relay contact (bias applied when Tx) to the base of the PA.
I want to boost power for psk31 which uses USB mode from a low power all mode transceiver.
What is the consensus of the group, are most VHF amps biased this cheap and ineffective way?  Seems I have seen on a post this is a problem with the current crop of solid state VHF amps.  And those with SSB front panel switch, actuate only an additional capacitor in, as I noted above?
Thanks KB0GU